AUSTRALIA ISSUES PAPUA NEW GUINEA TRAVEL WARNING

admin's picture

CANBERRA, Australia (August 18, 1997 - PACNEWS)---Australia's Foreign Affairs Department has issued a new warning concerning travel in Papua New Guinea.

Although curfews in several PNG areas have been lifted, including Port Moresby and the capital district, following last month's national elections, Canberra says there are continuing instances of violence throughout the Melanesian country.

The Australian government has urged all visitors to PNG to maintain a high level of security awareness. In particular, Australians have been told they should not visit the embattled island of Bougainville, where a civil insurrection has continued for nine years, without permission from the Papua New Guinea government.

Meantime, in Port Moresby, Prime Minister Bill Skate has pledged that his new government will give top priority to the resolution of Papua New Guinea's continuing law and order problems.

Rate this article: 
No votes yet

Add new comment