SOLOMONS PM ULUFA'ALU SAYS SOME WANT BOUGAINVILLE

admin's picture

CRISIS TO CONTINUE

HONIARA, Solomon Islands (May 11, 1998 - PACNEWS/Ioane)---The Solomon Islands Prime Minister, Bartholomew Ulufa'alu, has warned that there are people who want to see the Bougainville crisis continue.

This became evident, he said, when it was discovered that some contents of a container brought into the country early this year had disappeared, the Solomon Islands Broadcasting Company reports.

Ulufa'alu said he had inspected the container and found an empty pick-up truck, a land rover and a trailer which he believed had contained arms. The vehicles had been driven out of the container, had their contents removed and returned to the container, he added.

Ulufa'alu also revealed in comments to Parliament that a shooting incident at the Solomon Islands-Papua New Guinea border earlier this month was led by a part Solomon Islander.

He made the comments in response to concerns raised about the $SI 19 million ($US 4 million) arms consignment ordered by the previous government of Prime Minister Solomon Mamaloni.

The arms currently are stored in Australia and New Zealand.

Ulufa'alu warned that people who are losing out on the Bougainville crisis because of the cease fire may use arms to shoot on both sides of the border to revive the war on the long embattled Papua New Guinea island.

Rate this article: 
No votes yet

Add new comment