LITTLE INTEREST IN GUAM INDEPENDENCE

admin's picture

AGANA, Guam (May 26, 1998 - PIDP/CPIS/Hulsen)---Most of Guam's residents support the current governance arrangement with the United States and do no want it changed, according to a report by Market Research and Development, Incorporated.

The poll shows that 56 percent of the island's residents want Guam to continue its association with the U.S. as a territory. Of the remaining 44 percent who do want change, according to the research report, 78 percent want a still closer arrangement with the United States, such as becoming a commonwealth or state.

The 1998 research findings are similar to those tabulated in a 1985 poll, with few people on Guam expressing interest in becoming an independent nation.

Rate this article: 
No votes yet

Add new comment