FORMER KIRIBATI OFFICIALS TOLD TO REPAY MISUSED FUNDS

admin's picture

TARAWA, Kiribati (June 15, 1998 - PACNEWS/Ioane)---Former cabinet ministers accused of misusing government funds will receive a formal notice from the Kiribati government soon to start repayments.

President Teburoro Tito told Parliament last week that the decision is based on the results of a Commission of Inquiry that found some former government ministers received public funds to which they were not entitled, Radio Kiribati reports.

In addition to items included in the commission's report, President Tito said, there were other unofficial expenses paid to some former ministers.

Those former officials involved in the matter, he said, all have the right to take their cases to court, if they disagree with the government's findings.

Meanwhile, one former cabinet minister has informed the government that he is ready to refund the money he owes.

Rate this article: 
No votes yet

Add new comment