PNG REACTIVATES SEDITION CHARGES AGAINST COMMANDER SINGIROK

admin's picture

PORT MORESBY, Papua New Guinea (October 31, 1998 - Radio Australia)--- Police have reactivated 'sedition charges' against the Commander of the Papua New Guinea Defense Force, Brigadier General Jerry Singirok.

The charges dated back to last year when General Singirok demanded the resignation of former Prime Minister Sir Julius Chan and his government over the Sandline mercenaries deal.

The charges were earlier dropped by police prosecutors, because of the institution of the Sandline Inquiry, which involved Commander Singirok and other national leaders giving evidence on the Sandline arrangements and actions.

However, the Commander of Port Moresby, Police Chief Superintendent John Wakon, said the reactivation of Brigadier General Singirok's case will now be dealt with by the courts.

Mr. Wakon said that if the courts can effectively and conclusively deal with the case it would restore public confidence in the work of police.

For additional reports from Radio Australia, go to PACIFIC ISLANDS REPORT News/Information Links: Radio/TV News/Radio Australia.

Rate this article: 
No votes yet

Add new comment