FORMER PNG PM LOSES LATEST BATTLE TO REJOIN PARLIAMENT

admin's picture

PORT MORESBY, Papua New Guinea (November 6, 1998 - Radio Australia)---Former Papua New Guinea Prime Minister Sir Julius Chan has suffered a setback in his battle to re-enter the national Parliament.

Sir Julius lost his seat during the national election held last year after the Sandline mercenary affair and has since been fighting through the courts to have the result over-turned.

The Papua New Guinea Supreme Court today refused an application from Sir Julius for the Court to order a recount of votes regarding his old seat.

Chief Justice Sir Arnold Amet said it would be premature and inappropriate to grant the order while the challenge to the election is still before the Court of Disputed Returns.

Speaking outside the Court, Sir Julius said he remains confident that his allegations of vote-tampering and other irregularities will eventually be proved.

For additional reports from Radio Australia, go to PACIFIC ISLANDS REPORT News/Information Links: Radio/TV News/Radio Australia.

Rate this article: 
No votes yet

Add new comment