NEGATIVE REPORT ON ACTING PNG DEFENSE CHIEF

admin's picture

PORT MORESBY, Papua New Guinea (August 28, 1999 – Radio Australia)---The just-appointed acting head of the Papua New Guinea Defense Force is not suitable for the job according to a leaked intelligence report.

The report from the Defense Force to the Prime Minister and Cabinet, which was leaked to the PNG media, says Colonel Carl Malpo is medically unfit for military service and was involved in a so-called illegal unit that formed after the Sandline crisis in 1997 during the Bougainville secessionist war.

The report says the special unit was involved in harassment and intimidation of military personnel.

Colonel Malpo has replaced General Jerry Singirok, who was suspended by the PNG Cabinet earlier this month.

(See: PNG Armed Forces Commander Referred To Public Prosecutor, http://pidp.ewc.hawaii.edu/pireport/1999/august/08-10-15.html)

For additional reports from Radio Australia, go to PACIFIC ISLANDS REPORT News/Information Links: Radio/TV News/Radio Australia.

Rate this article: 
No votes yet

Add new comment