admin's picture

SUVA, Fiji Islands (July 7, 2001 – The Daily Post/FijiLive)---"I love you, Dad. Bye," Piers Scott told his father over the phone from Britain.

His father, John Scott, the director of the Fiji Red Cross, was brutally murdered a few hours later with lover Gregory Scrivener. Scott counts himself lucky to have spoken to his father before he died.

"I was walking home on Friday night in London. I stopped at a phone box and used my little calling card and rang Dad," he said. "He had just sent a 12-year-old boy with a brain tumor, so he had a tear in his eye. He told me all about that. We had a beautiful talk. Then I said I love you, Dad. Bye."

On his father's relationship with Mr. (Gregory) Scrivener (who also was murdered), he said it was like he "had two fathers." He said that the two had been together for a long time and that Mr. Scrivener had been a huge part of his life since he was four years old.

The former Fiji Red Cross Society director's brother, Owen, who accompanied his nephew from Britain to Fiji said that the two had a lot of fun together. He said that they were good companions and were in a committed relationship.

As for the investigations and on the subject of John Scott receiving threats because of his involvement during last year’s hostage crisis, Owen opted to remain quiet.

Piers said his father was nervous but at the same time he was brave and he respects his father for that.

Owen and Piers have expressed their love for the country and claim that it has not been affected by the gruesome killings.

Meanwhile police chief Isikia Savua and his team of detectives yesterday missed the deadline he had set to solve the double murder.

Police failed to meet the deadline yesterday, but have uncovered new evidence that adds a new twist to the case.

The revelation comes in the wake of reports that the fingerprints on the knife found at the murder scene do not match those of the two men currently in police custody.

Police Commissioner Isikia Savua said yesterday that no arrests would be made after they discovered new evidence. The evidence would need to be sent overseas for testing.

"We believe that the samples that need to be taken overseas are crucial in order to make a good case," Mr. Savua said yesterday.

Mr. Savua remained tight-lipped on the specifics about the type of evidence and samples going overseas, as this would disrupt investigation. Some of the samples, Mr. Savua revealed, are blood but there are also other types and not blood specifically.

"There is evidence we can draw from the blood and there are some tests we can do here but some we do not have the equipment for and those are sent overseas," he said.

As for the two suspects in custody, they are still being questioned.

"The questioning will go on. They are our strongest leads but evidence has come which may be related and lead to another track which may mean that we need to bring someone else in," he said.

He said they do not have a particular person but they have received reports that brings about the possibility for others having important information.

"They are other people we need to question first before we can take someone to trial," Mr. Savua said.

He said that he decided to delay the arrest until the police have everything covered.

Sparking one of the biggest manhunts in Fiji history, Mr. Savua still feels confident his officers can crack the case.

On speculation that the killings were politically motivated, Savua pointed out that evidence gathered so far is continuing to point away from a politically motivated double murder.

However police have not ruled out the political angle.

With speculation rife about the discovery of the body of notorious criminal David Wise in the Rewa River being linked to the double homicides, Savua said, "We do not see any connection with David Wise. He was chased by the police and jumped into the river," said Mr. Savua.

On homosexual activities, Mr. Savua said that his honest opinion is that what happens behind closed doors between two consenting adults is their own business.

The bloody footprints at the scene of the murder remain key evidence. Mr. Savua says the prints match those of a "Steeler" brand shoe, which says can fetch up to $200. A local shoe shop owner in Suva, who did not want to be named, said the brand is not sold in Fiji and is mainly sold in New Zealand.

The owner of the store said that it is made in New Zealand as well as in China and is worth about $95 to $125.

Mr. Savua said that there have only been four known cases in Fiji of such a nature when police have had to look for suspects via shoe prints.

One known case is that of Ram Dulare, who lived in Toorak and was associated with a youth ten years ago. Dulare, who was in his 50s, was murdered and the youth in his 20s was traced by his footprint. The killer was found by molding a cast of the footprint by forensic people that brought the police to the killer.

For additional reports from Fiji’s Daily Post, go to PACIFIC ISLANDS REPORT News/Information Links: Other News Resources/FijiLive.

For additional reports from FijiLive, go to PACIFIC ISLANDS REPORT News/Information Links: Other News Resources/FijiLive.


SUVA, Fiji Islands (July 9, 2001 - Fiji Police have arrested a 23-year-old man over the murder of Red Cross director John Scott and his partner Gregory Scrivener a week ago.

Police Commissioner Isikia Savua said the murder was not politically motivated but said he could not divulge the motive as yet.

He said the man had "traveled to and from New Zealand."

Scott and Scrivener were found murdered in Scott's home last Sunday, in a crime that led to considerable speculation, because of Scott's work with political hostages in last year's coup.

For additional reports from Radio Australia, go to PACIFIC ISLANDS REPORT News/Information Links: Radio/TV News/Radio Australia.

Rate this article: 
Average: 4 (1 vote)

Add new comment