NEW ZEALANDERS FLOCK TO BALI DESPITE WARNINGS

AUCKLAND, New Zealand (Radio Australia, Jan. 9) - New Zealanders are continuing to travel to Bali despite warnings from government in the wake of the Kuta nightclub bombings last October.

Radio Australia says tourists are taking advantage of cheaper accommodationS.

Like Australians, New Zealanders have been advised by their department of Foreign Affairs to defer all non-essential travel to Bali.

But New Zealand's largest travel agency says bookings to Bali over the past three months have increased nearly 50 percent over the same period last year.

Foreign Minister Phil Goff says while he wishes New Zealanders would follow the government’s advice; he can't force people not to travel.

January 9, 2003

For additional reports from Radio Australia, go to PACIFIC ISLANDS REPORT News/Information Links: Radio/TV News/Radio Australia. 

Rate this article: 
No votes yet

Add new comment