NAURU HUNGER STRIKE IN FOURTH WEEK

admin's picture

MELBOURNE, Australia (Radio Australia, Jan. 5) - The Australian Immigration Department says six asylum seekers on the Pacific island of Nauru have decided to pull out of a hunger strike this afternoon.

As Matthew Eaton reports, the protest has entered its fourth week.

It's not yet clear why the latest six men decided to stop their protest against being refused protection visas.

The Immigration Department says no reasons were given but stressed that it was not negotiating with the hunger strikers, merely urging them to cease their protest.

Last week four men from Afghanistan withdrew from the hunger strike after learning the UNHCR is reassessing their cases.

But four men who began the hunger strike more than three weeks ago by sewing their lips together, have threatened to sew their eyes shut on January the 10th if their cases aren't reviewed.

January 4, 2003

Radio Australia: www.abc.net.au/ra

 

Rate this article: 
No votes yet

Add new comment