admin's picture

PORT MORESBY, Papua New Guinea (PNG Post-Courier, Jan. 9) – Five Chinese illegal immigrants linked to China’s notorious human smuggler Chen Zubiau, who recently arrived in the country with suspicious visas, escaped before they were repatriated yesterday.

The sixth, Yan Zhong, who turned up at the airport with police, did not make it onboard Air Niugini’s flight PX 010 to Manila and on to China because he was brought in late after police went looking for him to bring to the airport. 

He is now locked up at the Boroko cells to await the next flight out of the country.

Police said when they turned up at the illegal immigrants’ sponsor’s place, none of them were home. They were were told that three had to see a private doctor and never came back.

They are some of the 11 illegal immigrants refused entry by the Immigration Office last week because their visas did not comply with requirements and that the Papua New Guinea’s Beijing-based office in China did not follow proper procedures in issuing visas for them to gain entry into the country.

The Immigration Office in Port Moresby has issued clear directions to all airlines and all Heads of Missions — especially the PNG office in Beijing — to stop all Chinese people travelling into the country on either business or tourist visas for an indefinite period effective from yesterday.

Police, Immigration officers and Prime Minister’s Department officials were all at the airport to sort out the situation yesterday afternoon when the lone illegal Chinese was brought in to catch the Manila flight.

By today, the police were expected to have arrested the other five illegal immigrants — Wang Jinhui, Zeng Kaiwan, Yu Chenjin, Xue Xiaoming and He Yuguang — who they missed yesterday. 

They are to be charged and locked up at the Boroko Police Station to await the next available flight out of Port Moresby to China.

"These people, all 11 of them, were refused entry into Port Moresby at the time of arrival because they did not comply with the country’s requirements," an Immigration official said. "This means that they should have been put back on the same flight back to China but because we do not have the facilities and that there are no immediate flights back we had to hand them over to the police until the next available flight out.

"This is a big issue that needs to be addressed immediately and which the Government is continuously ignoring. We can do our job but there are no facilities,’’ the official said

January 9, 2004

Papua New Guinea Post-Courier:


Rate this article: 
No votes yet

Add new comment