EAST TIMOR TO DEPORT AUSTRALIAN JOURNALIST

admin's picture

MELBOURNE, Australia (Radio Australia, June 28) - An Australian man charged with subversive activities in East Timor is facing deportation.

Immigration authorities in Dili have begun proceedings to deport Julian King.

Mr King has spent much of the past four years in East Timor working as a freelance journalist.

He has been charged with possessing weapons and illegal documents but says two courts have so far failed to uphold the charges.

He says police are now resorting to immigration law to get rid of him.

"They say that because I don't have a visa that they can deport me," King said. "However, they tried this in the Dili district court last Friday and the judge in the Dili district court went against their proposal and said that there is insufficient evidence to deport me. He also reiterated the decision of the high court in Dili and that decision was that my passport must be returned immediately."

June 29, 2004

Radio Australia: www.abc.net.au/ra

Rate this article: 
No votes yet

Add new comment