admin's picture

PORT MORESBY, Papua New Guinea (PNG Post-Courier, Dec. 15) – More than 50 homes were ransacked and families told to pack up and leave yesterday after police carried out an eviction order on a squatter settlement in the Papua New Guinea’s National Capital District.

About 200 people from 50 families from the Nara settlement in the Six-Mile area were thrown out of their homes when a police raiding party swooped on them yesterday morning.

Personal belongings and kitchen utensils were thrown out of the houses and occupants told to leave the area by last night.

Fruit and shade trees in the compound were chopped down by the raiding party who settlers alleged were policemen.

A victim, Rose Sandy, a mother of two from Koiari, claimed policemen armed with bush knives entered their houses and started throwing the belongings, telling the families to leave the settlement as the land had been sold by the owners to an unnamed developer.

"Ol tok mipela istap long graun blong narapela man na tokim mipela long karim ol samting blong mipela na go (They said we are staying on someone’s land and told us to pack up and leave)," Mrs Sandy said.

She claimed the settlement, established in the early 1980s, had not been disputed when settlers moved in. She produced a copy of the eviction order served on them, issued by the Port Moresby District Court on November 14.

The eviction was ordered by property owners a John Isa Isa and Romi Macasaet of Section 36 Allotment 4. However, Mrs Sandy claimed Section 36 was not where their settlement was located.

National Capital District police commander Tony Wagambie’s office said the eviction order was carried out by the National Capital District Commission and not police. National Capital District City manager Peter Loko said he was not aware of the eviction and could not comment.

December 19, 2005

Papua New Guinea Post-Courier: www.postcourier.com.pg/


Rate this article: 
No votes yet

Add new comment