PNG TO DEPORT 3 FIJIAN SOLDIERS WITHOUT CHARGES

admin's picture

PORT MORESBY, Papua New Guinea (PNG Post-Courier, Jan. 3) – Three former Fijian soldiers [reportedly connected with pyramid scheme operator and Papua New Guinea fugitive Noah Musingku] have been ordered deported from Bougainville without charges.

The National Security Advisory Committee (NSAC) gave the trio marching orders after a crisis meeting on Friday.

A statement released by Police Commissioner and acting committee chairman Sam Inguba yesterday indicated that the Government has given the Bougainville Autonomous Government (ABG) the assignment to bring in the other five Fijians still on the island.

Isaiah Seruvatu Baro, Fereti Rokodi, and Semi Baroi, who were detained in Port Moresby after they flew to the city in November, will be deported immediately.

The men — former members of Fiji army’s elite counter revolutionary warfare unit (CRW) — were allegedly giving military training to supporters of pyramid scheme principal Noah Musingku.

Mr. Inguba in a statement said: "The three Fijians who have been detained would be deported without being charged because there was no evidence implicating them under the PNG Migration Act. As for the remaining five, we have been working closely with the Autonomous Government of Bougainville (AGB) to bring them to Port Moresby and (they) will be treated according to circumstances," he said.

Fiji High Commission second secretary Emosi Rakai — who went to Bougainville’s Siwai area and was instrumental in convincing Fereti Rodoki and Semi Baroi to return to Port Moresby with him — told the Post-Courier at the weekend that the PNG Government had yet to advise the high commission of the NSAC’s decision.

The five former Fijian soldiers still on the island chose to remain to chase a PGK3.22 million [US$1.1 million] payment that Mr. Musingku reportedly promised them.

[PIR editor’s note: The eight men were discovered by the Autonomous Bougainville Government last month and much effort has been put in by the Papua New Guinea Government and the Fijian High Commission in PNG to have them taken out of Bougainville and PNG (read related story).]

January 4, 2006

Papua New Guinea Post-Courier: www.postcourier.com.pg/

Rate this article: 
No votes yet

Add new comment