TWO PNG VILLAGERS KILLED IN PORGERA MINE SKIRMISH

admin's picture

PORT MORESBY, Papua New Guinea (The National, Jan. 4) – Heavily-armed Papua New Guinea policemen are guarding the giant world-class gold mine in Porgera after a tribal fight erupted during the festive season.

Two people were killed and 12 others injured when the fight broke out on Monday between the two warring families of Kawal and Lorde of Mapangi clan living near the Porgera mine site.

The recent killings brought the total number of deaths to five with thousand-kina worth of properties being destroyed since the fight started last month.

The fight was triggered by a disagreement over a compensation of PGK154,000 [US$52,000] paid by the Porgera Joint Venture for using their land as a waste dump site.

One family had accused the other of not sharing the money fairly.

Enga provincial police commander Chief Superintendent Teddy Tei said police had been deployed to stop the fight.

He said he had deployed the Wabag based Mobile Squad last week to monitor the situation in Porgera with the assistance from the local police.

[PIR editor’s note: According to PIR files, chief landowner and former chairman of the Porgera landowners association Nickson Mangape said the company has taken up most of the peoples’ land around the mine (read the story).]

January 5, 2006

The National: www.thenational.com.pg/

Rate this article: 
No votes yet

Add new comment