VANUATU OFFICIAL URGES ASSESSMENT OF CYCLONE DAMAGE

admin's picture

PORT VILA, Vanuatu (Vanuatu Daily Post, Feb. 18, 2008) – The National Disaster Management Unit has been urged to personally go to Torba to carry out an assessment following the damage left by cyclone Funa.

The concern was raised by a government civil servant from the Penama Province who is serving in the Banks.

He raised concern that with Torba being the forgotten Province, there is high possibility that the government could turn a blind eye on these people again.

The government officer who did not want his name to be revealed was there during the cyclone and shared experience of how the cyclone hit the people.

He said he is very sure that in a few more months the people of this province would have nothing to eat due to the damage caused.

Daily post was told that schools on the island would begin in March but their worry is whether there wouldn’t be any food for the boarding students.

There is also concern raised about the roof of the dining hall at the Arep Junior secondary school that was blown away by storm force winds from the cyclone.

Daily post understands that a committee had been set up in the Torba Provincial Headquarter but the concerned teacher is strongly appealing to members to the NDMO to attend the site themselves in order that they carry out a thorough assessment report.

Meanwhile, the major telecommunication lines to the island are still out leaving the Province in total isolation.

Rate this article: 
No votes yet

Add new comment