PAPUA NEW GUINEA EARMARKS $4 MILLION FOR TV STATION

admin's picture

State-run TV to broadcast from Port Moresby

By Joshua Arlo

PORT MORESBY, Papua New Guinea (The National, March 3, 2008) - Cabinet has endorsed a PGK12 million [US$4 million] submission last February 22 to ensure that the State-owned and run television gets off the ground as planned later this year.

The state television is set to air on September 16 and so far impressive progress has been made to make this a reality with a license issued next month for links.

The national television service station will be located at the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) headquarters at Five Mile in Port Moresby.

Chief Secretary to Government, Isaac Lupari last week was briefed and taken on a tour of the premises where he was impressed with the progress and urged all parties involved to continue to work together to make this a reality.

"Television will be a platform where the Government’s national objectives would be achieved. We, as bureaucrats, have to ensure this happens," Mr. Lupari said in a statement.

He said Government has given its full backing to ensure the project gets off the ground by putting up the funds for it.

Lupari urged the television team, led by NBC managing director Joseph Ealedona and special technical adviser Noel Mobiha, to redouble their efforts now that funds have been made available.

Mr. Ealedona said following the setting up of a technical television committee, finer details of the project proper are being looked at now.

Pangtel managing director, Charles Punaha also gave an undertaking that a license will be issued next month "for the links."

Rate this article: 
No votes yet

Add new comment