PALAU TAKES ACTION AGAINST DENGUE FEVER

admin's picture

‘Children worry me most,’ says Remengesau

By Bernadette H. Carreon

KOROR (Palau Horizon, Sept. 10, 2008) - Palau leaders have agreed to put additional funding to rid the island of dengue fever.

Dr. Stevenson Kuartei, Bureau of Public Health announced last week during the president’s weekly press conference that the cases reached outbreak levels thus the National Avian Flu Task Force was activated to begin an extensive public education and nation-wide clean-up efforts to rid mosquito breeding areas in all states of Palau.

The Senate, House of Delegates with the President’s Office and the Chief Justice agreed to provide US$5,000 each from their coffers for the clean-up efforts.

"Palau is in control of the situation and preventive measures are in place, to eradicate the disease before it gets out of control." President Remengesau said.

The eradication of the dengue fever is on the top of the list as the main concern of the national government.

Kuartei said that there about 45 cases in August, preventive measures have been initiated by the Ministry of Health to avert a major epidemic.

"This is a troubling situation, the children are what worry me most, especially at this beginning of school year, and therefore we need everyone’s cooperation to continue to clean-up their surroundings, particularly the areas which breed mosquitoes that spread the disease," Remengesau said.

Rate this article: 
No votes yet

Add new comment