FIVE BODIES, FOURTEEN MISSING IN PNG LANDSLIDE

admin's picture

Disaster wiped out entire village

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (Radio New Zealand International, June 2, 2009) – Five bodies have now been recovered, but 14 are still missing in Papua New Guinea’s Morobe province following last week’s landslip.

The landslide, caused by heavy rain, wiped out the food gardens of a whole village.

The Morobe province disaster management office director, Roy Kamen, says the area is still too dangerous to visit.

"We have only located another two bodies, but because of the state of the bodies, they were buried at the site where they were located. Five bodies have been located, but about 14 are still missing. We have told them not to continue the search because of the situation down there."

Roy Kamen says his team has distributed food and other items to the 21 families that survived the disaster.

Rate this article: 
No votes yet

Add new comment