PNG PROVINCE BANS BETEL NUT SALES

admin's picture

Madang moves to prevent spread of cholera

PORT MORESBY, Papua New Guinea (PNG Post-Courier, October 14, 2009) – Madang health authorities in the province have acknowledged the banning of betel nut sales at residential stalls and along roadsides is likely to turn heads but say it is for the good of all.

Health Adviser Marcus Kachau said the ban is one of the many measures that provincial authorities have undertaken in its continued bid to safeguard the province from the spread of cholera.

Mr. Kachau said while he was pleased to report the province’s cholera status was zero this did not mean it should let its guard down. He said this sickness had already surfaced in PNG and it was sensible that everything necessary be done to prevent not only its spread but another outbreak. He said families sold betelnut for an income and that this decision would not go down well but said this was being done for the good of everyone.

Rate this article: 
No votes yet

Add new comment