admin's picture

Lawmaker wants funds transferred to rural ministry

HONIARA, Solomon Islands (Solomon Star, Dec. 29, 2009) – In the Solomon Islands, Member of Parliament for North West Guadalcanal Siriako Usa wants to see the agriculture funds move to Ministry of Rural Development.

Speaking during the sine die motion last week, Mr. Usa said the agriculture fund did not reach rural farmers as intended.

He said farmers in his constituency are still waiting to receive the funds until today.

"The agriculture funds should be moved to Ministry of Rural Development like the fishery fund," he said. "The Agriculture Minister always want to boast in Parliament and caucus, however the funds are not going down to rural farmers."

Meanwhile, Mr. Usa who is also chairman of Solomon Islands Water Authority (SIWA), said Government needs to prioritize the return of alienated land to landowners.

He also said the Government needs to speed up the process of turning Temporary Occupation Land (TOL) into fixed term estate.

Mr. Usa said this is to allow social services of Government to reach people living on TOL.

Rate this article: 
No votes yet

Add new comment