WORLD BANK TO SPONSOR PNG COFFEE ‘PARTNERSHIPS’

admin's picture

Bank to provide 70 percent of needed funds

PORT MORESBY, Papua New Guinea (PNG Post-Courier, Aug. 23, 2011) - The World Bank project on the Productive Partnership in Agriculture (PPAP) - coffee component - will be calling for partnership proposals in mid-September this year in Papua New Guinea (PNG).

PPAP Project Manager, David Freyne, expressed this during the kick-start of the project awareness in Goroka on Friday last week. He said the main aim of the project is to get coffee and related services right down to the smallholder coffee farmers at the village level. He cautioned the coffee stakeholders, farmers, and the provincial and national government representatives that the project would not be like other National Agricultural Development Project (NADP) programs for them to milk on, but will serve genuine organizations and farmer groups.

"All partnership agreements will be screened thoroughly using World Bank standards and guidelines," said Mr. Freyne.

He said the partnerships will include the PPAP, lead partners with an annual income of more than 3 million kina [US$1.3 million], and co-partners involving between 100 to 250 farmers, with varying coffee needs from extension, to post harvest, tools, marketing infrastructure among others.

Mr. Freyne gave an example to explain how the partnership would work, saying that PPAP will meet 70 percent of the total project cost and the lead partner and co-partner together will meet the remaining 30 percent.

The PPAP project awareness was also conducted in Kainantu, and will continue to Simbu and Mt Hagen (including Jiwaka).

Information on the project proposal outline, selection criteria, partnership ideas, implementation and other related queries can be obtained by contacting Mr. Freyne through email ppap@goroka.cic.org.pg or phone (675) 531 1284, and fax (675) 532 1351.

Rate this article: 
No votes yet

Add new comment