Despite Resolution, Weekend Unrest Lingers In Solomons

admin's picture

Police reportedly intervened in ‘planned attack’ at Gizo market

By Jeremy Inifiri

HONIARA, Solomon Islands (Solomon Star, Nov. 2, 2012) – Hostility between two Solomon Islands groups involved in the Gizo disturbances over the weekend remained despite efforts to reconcile.

Reports the Solomon Star received from Gizo yesterday say police intervened to prevent an attack one of the groups was planning.

The groups, one from the Shortlands, another from Gizo, have earlier agreed to settle their difference with a SB$100,000 [US$13,510] compensation payment and a reconciliation ceremony.

But yesterday, police were called to disperse members of the group after they were informed on a planned attack at Gizo market.

"It was around lunch time when a truck load of police office came into the market and informed those selling their products to quickly evacuate the area, as there had been threats of a planned attack by Shortland Islanders later on in the day," an eye-witness told the Solomon Star.

"We were shocked at the news but somehow had to flee the scene as quickly as we can. Those that were busy selling their products have to leave them all behind and escaped back to their villages," the witness said.

According to the reports, the Shortland Islanders wanted the compensation to be paid as quickly as possible.

A spokesman from the Gizo Police Station said that the situation was still tense however no major problems had been encountered.

He also added that no major incident had occurred at the Gizo market yesterday afternoon between the two conflicting groups.

Attempts to talk to Provincial Police Commander (PPC), John Rove last night were unsuccessful.

Rate this article: 
No votes yet

Add new comment