Alleged Attack On Nauru Asylum Seeker To Be Investigated

admin's picture

Worker reportedly attacked Lebanese detainee last week

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (Radio New Zealand International, Oct. 14, 2013) – The Salvation Army is investigating claims an asylum seeker on Nauru was attacked by a local worker from the organisation.

The Refugee Action Coalition which monitors Australia’s asylum seeker camp on the island says a Lebanese detainee required stitches to a head injury inflicted by a worker at the centre following a fight on Friday.

Sally Round reports.

"The watchdog says tension has been increasing in recent weeks, due to overcrowding, and there have been clashes between asylum seekers and Nauruan guards. The coalition’s spokesperson Ian Rintoul says there are around ten toilets for 600 people with queues up to an hour long for meals, an epidemic of skin problems and more reports of self-harm and hunger strikes. He says all Nauruan workers have been banned from a separate area of the main compound which holds around 70 people who are still facing charges resulting from protests in July. A spokesperson for the Salvation Army says locals have not been banned and he says claims by the Refugee Action Coalition need to be taken with a grain of salt."

Rate this article: 
No votes yet

Add new comment