PNG Police Remind Public That Fireworks Are Illegal

admin's picture

NCD superintendent says sellers will be arrested

By Adam Mera and Dorothy Mark

PORT MORESBY, Papua New Guinea (The National, Dec. 31, 2013) – Papua New Guinea police have warned members of the public that it is illegal to sell and use fireworks and firecrackers.

National Capital District Metropolitan Superintendent Andy Bawa sounded the warning as people prepare to celebrate the New Year from tonight.

The National caught some youths selling the illegal items in Port Moresby yesterday for as much as K100 [US$38] each.

Bawa said the items had been declared illegal and shop owners had already been advised to take them off the shelves.

"The police will be out in full force checking shops for the items," he said.

"Any shop owner caught selling these items will be arrested and charged."

Bawa warned youths selling the items on the streets they would be arrested with their suppliers.

He appealed to parents to refrain from buying the items for their children.

"I want to discourage parents from allowing their children to use these items," he said.

"They cause a lot of noise, which is annoying to people."

Bawa thanked residents of NCD for a relatively quiet Christmas.

"This Christmas has been trouble-free and much quieter than in the previous years," he said.

"It shows that the public has really come to appreciate what Christmas is all about."

Bawa said crimes had significantly dropped during Christmas.

[PIR editor's note: Acting PNG Police Commissioner Simon Kauba has also urged the public to conduct their year-end celebrations in a generally peaceful way. He asked that new year celebrations not be used as an excuse for excessive alcohol consumption, adding police stations will be adequately manned and complaints efficiently addressed.]

Meanwhile an eight-year-old boy in Madang injured his left eye when testing out a home-made item his friends had been using as a firecracker.

The incident happened at Igiruwe village, in the Usino local level government of Usino-Bundi district.

According to his father Jeffrey Manawa, Deriel was influenced by his friends to try out a blasting technique that produced sounds similar to gunshots.

Manawa said he had warned his son about the possible danger but he ignored him. His friends used old car batteries, pieces of tin, match powder and bolts to make the items.

"I heard the big blast and thought it was a gun shot from police but his friend ran to me seconds later and told me that my son was injured in the blast I just heard," Manawa said.

The boy was taken to the Walium Health Centre and later to Modilon Hospital.

Manawa said pieces of tin entered his left eye ball and nostril.

"I beg all good and responsible parents to stop your children or relatives from doing what my son did – it’s dangerous and will cause lifetime injuries," Manawa said.

Rate this article: 
No votes yet

Add new comment