Solomons Provincial Leader Criticizes Charity’s Spending

admin's picture

World Vision says projects started before 2012 tsunami still going

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (Radio New Zealand International, Jan. 7, 2014) – Solomon Islands World Vision is defending its use and purchase of new vehicles after last year's tsunami in Temotu province.

This week, provincial premier Charles Brown Beu told Radio New Zealand International there was a lot of suspicion around how the charity spent money following the fatal disaster last February, which left thousands homeless.

Charles Brown Beu says local people could not understand why the charity needed to bring in new trucks and boats.

But World Vision Solomon Islands' operations coordinator, Lawrence Hillary, says before the tsunami the organisation was already doing a lot of work in the province.

"We are still currently implementing the water, sanitation and hygiene project. So people should not be looking at all the other assets which belong to other projects which are operating normal area programme activities. They shouldn't be mixed up with our response engagement."

Lawrence Hillary says World Vision wants to reassure the people of Temotu province, particularly in the Reef Islands and Santa Cruz, that it will continue to work with them.

Rate this article: 
No votes yet

Add new comment