Claims Of Abuse, Sexual Misconduct In Nauru Camps Rejected

admin's picture

Transfield: No evidence to support allegations, likely fabricated by activists

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (Radio New Zealand International, Nov. 6, 2014) – The Australian company Transfield Services, which runs the government's Nauru detention centre for asylum seekers, says it hasn't found any evidence to back claims of abuse and sexual misconduct.

This follows an Australian government decision to probe claims of such abuse made last month.

The inquiry was sparked after Transfield documents reportedly claimed that Save the Children staff working at the centre had fabricated abuse stories and coached asylum seekers to hurt themselves.

Transfield chairman Diane Smith-Gander has told shareholders at the company's annual meeting that its own investigations to date have found no evidence backing any of these recent claims.

She says Transfield believes the claims were being fed to journalists by politicians and activists opposed to Australia's policy of processing asylum seekers abroad.

Rate this article: 
No votes yet

Add new comment