Fiji Public Prosecutor Drops Assault Investigation Against Police

admin's picture

No action taken following arrest of man who ‘offended’ PM

SUVA, Fiji (Fijilive, Nov. 17, 2014) – Fiji's Director of Public Prosecutions Christopher Pryde has ruled no further action will be taken concerning allegations surrounding Josefa Bilitaki who was allegedly assaulted when he was arrested by police two months ago over allegations he had sent indecent and annoying text messages to the Prime Minister.

In a statement released today, the DPP said that after reviewing evidence from police, concluded there was insufficient evidence of any criminal wrongdoing by Bilitaki and "therefore there will be no further action." The DPP also decided there is insufficient evidence to proceed to court on a charge of assault against men who allegedly assaulted Bilitaki when he was arrested by police on September 26 over the alleged text messages.

On October 7 while recovering in hospital, Bilitaki made a formal complaint to police that he had been assaulted by men he took to be military officers or police and that he had been unlawfully detained by police on September 26.

The Police again sent the file to the DPP to review the evidence and make a decision on whether any charges should be laid.

The DPP said after reviewing all evidence, including that from the medical doctor who examined Bilitaki when he was first admitted to hospital complaining he felt unwell, concluded that "there is insufficient evidence to proceed to court on a charge of assault and therefore there will be no further action."

However, Pryde has raised concerns by the way in which Bilitaki came to be arrested and held in custody for a trivial matter.

He further said he intended to raise the matter with the Police Commissioner Ben Groenewald.

"The procedure for arrest without warrant of suspected persons is clearly set out in the Criminal Procedure Decree. It is important that the Police are fully aware of these provisions and act accordingly," Pryde said.

Meanwhile, in a statement Bilitaki had released to the media, he said he was enquiring over two CD's of songs he had composed namely "We are one" and "Unite Fiji".

[PIR editor’s note: Fijilive also reported that ‘Josefa Bilitaki says he will need to speak with his lawyer first following the Director of Public Prosecutions' decision to take no further action over allegations surrounding his case.’]

Rate this article: 
No votes yet

Add new comment