PNG PM Accepted Petition From Hanuabada Village Supporters

admin's picture

Group demands action against excessive use of force by police

PORT MORESBY, Papua New Guinea (PNG Post-Courier, Feb. 10, 2015) – PNG Prime Minister Peter O’Neill yesterday received the petition of the people of Hanuabada village, supported by other Motu and Koitabu villages of the NCD and Central Province.

The petition collected close to 5000 signatures and contained five main points as demands following the shooting deaths of two Hanuabada villagers, Nicholas Rarua and Toka Gaudi, in the village three weeks ago.

A delegation of 15, including Motu-Koitabu west women’s representative and NCD commissioner Mere Ore, were present among the people and families of the deceased when they handed over the petition to the Parliament.

Mr O’Neill said he was with the people of Motu-Koitabu and would see to it that the concerns raised in the petition were addressed.

"This Government is opposed to our security forces using excessive force in trying to maintain law and order in our communities," he said.

The Hanuabada committee has given a deadline of two weeks for a written response to be made to the petition.

[PIR editor’s note: RNZI reported that ‘The Papua New Guinea Police minister says laws governing police operations will be reviewed and modified in a bid to make the constabulary more effective and professional. ... The Post Courier reports a team will be formed to look into police laws within the next six weeks.’]

The parents of the deceased previously relayed a strong message of forgiveness which the committee stood on however they would still strive for justice to be served, including a guarantee of a brighter future for the children of Motu-Koitabu.

Rate this article: 
No votes yet

Add new comment