Third Person Charged For Possession Of Illegal Ammunition In Fiji

Opposition worries discovery of bullets could be related to terrorism

By Shayal Devi

SUVA, Fiji (Fiji Times, Jan. 11, 2017) – A 47-year-old man charged with unlawful possession of ammunition was denied bail by the Lautoka Magistrates Court yesterday.

Vijay Singh was represented by Lautoka lawyer Mark Anthony.

He is believed to be the third suspect in a case where police found 179 live M16 centre-fire cartridges on January 1.

While making the bail application, Mr Anthony said his client was a heart patient and father to an 11-year-old daughter, whom he provided for.

Mr Anthony said his client was a first offender, did not have any criminal records and had turned himself in to police for questioning.

He said his client had also co-operated with police during the investigations.

He also informed the court that his client was ready to provide sureties and meet bail conditions.

In response, divisional prosecuting officer western Assistant Superintendent of Police Anil Prasad said the case was a serious one and a matter of public interest.

The case will be called again on January 23.

On Monday, Lautoka businessman Aiyaz Mohammed Mussa, 40, and his employee Naushad Ali, 30, appeared before Magistrate Ragajeeva Wimalasena for allegedly being in possession of 179 live M16 centre-fire cartridges (ammunition) without a proper licence on January 1.

[PIR editor's note: On January 11, 2017 RNZI reported that 'The opposition in Fiji wants a military counter terrorism unit reactivated after the discovery of a cache of ammunition earlier this month. ... The opposition's defence spokesman Mosese Bulitavu said the find could be linked to a terrorist network planning an attack in the country or elsewhere in the region.']

Mr Mussa's counsel informed the court that his client had repeatedly contacted police to find out what had been discovered.

He said Mr Mussa then went voluntarily to the Lautoka Police Station on January 6 when he was informed of the discovery.

Mr Mussa and Mr Ali's case will also be called in court again on January 23.

They were also remanded in custody on Monday.

Fiji Times Online.
Copyright © 2017 Fiji Times Online. All Rights Reserved

Rate this article: 
No votes yet

Add new comment