No Reduced Sentence For Guam Police Officer Convicted In Blue House Brothel Case

After resentencing Quenga gets 30 years, same as the original sentence

By Jasmine Stole

HAGÅTÑA, Guam (Pacific Daily News, April 13, 2017) – A former police officer convicted in the Blue House brothel case maintained his innocence at his sentencing hearing Thursday and said he is the not the person prosecutors portrayed him to be.

Judge Anita Sukola on Thursday re-sentenced Anthony T. Quenga to 30 years imprisonment, the same amount of time as his original sentence, issued in 2014.

Quenga’s re-sentencing was the result of a December 2015 Supreme Court of Guam decision. The high court remanded Quenga’s case for re-sentencing, after justices overturned some of Quenga’s convictions but affirmed others.

Judge Sukola had previously sentenced Quenga to 30 years. She again sentenced him to 30 years on Thursday.

Quenga was convicted of kidnapping, felonious restraint, first-and second-degree criminal sexual conduct, official misconduct and other offenses.

He was an officer for about 21 years before he was indicted along with then-officers David Manila and Mario Laxamana in connection with the Blue House case.

Blue House was a karaoke lounge that also operated as a brothel. The three were accused of using their influence as police officers to prevent employees forced into prostitution from running away, court documents state.

Quenga and Manila were also charged with raping Blue House employees, documents state.

Quenga addressed the court at Thursday's and denied any wrongdoing.

“I did not commit these crimes,” Quenga said. He has been incarcerated for nearly four and a half years.

“All the time I did in there, all I’m doing is praying. Praying for the healing of these young women… give them the strength and courage to come forward and tell the truth, the truth that would one day set me free and be with my family again,” Quenga said.

Quenga said he still feels like he’s in a bad nightmare.

Before announcing the sentence, Sukola said incarceration was necessary and a lesser sentence would depreciate the seriousness of Quenga’s crimes.

Judge Sukola said Quenga was not remorseful. “You still insist that you did not commit any of these crimes,” she said.

Assistant Attorney General Jonathan Quan said Quenga faced a maximum of life in prison, plus another 50 years. “We’re not asking for that,” Quan said. He said 30 years incarceration is sufficient.

Also present at Quenga’s sentencing was former Police Chief Paul Suba, who spoke highly of Quenga's character on the witness stand. “In all appearances and from everything I know of the man, he’s very professional,” Suba said. “I reviewed internal affairs records, I don’t recall any misdoings on the part of Mr. Quenga.”

Suba was the only person to testify on Quenga's behalf Thursday, but several letters from family members were filed for the judge’s review.

Quenga, with his hands clasped in front of him, showed little outward emotion that as the judge re-sentenced him. If he serves the full 30 years in jail, with credit for time served, by the time he's released he will be about 74 years old, said defense attorney Sylvia Stake.

His co-defendant, Manila, is scheduled to be re-sentenced in May.

Laxamana, the third ex-police officer indicted, testified against Quenga and Manila. Laxamana was sentenced last week to three years incarceration, with all three years suspended.

Pacific Daily News
Copyright © 2017 Guam Pacific Daily News. All Rights Reserved

Rate this article: 
No votes yet

Add new comment