Seventh Person Dies From Dengue Fever In New Caledonia

About 2,400 people infected during current outbreak

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (Radio New Zealand International, April 18, 2017) – Another person has died of dengue in New Caledonia, bringing the number of fatalities this year to seven.

The public broadcaster said the victim was a 57-year-old woman from Paita who died in Noumea's hospital on Saturday.

A dengue epidemic was declared in early January and about 2400 people have been infected in the current outbreak.

At start of the month, Jean-Paul Grangeon of New Caledonia's Health and Social Affairs Directorate said the outbreak was stabilising amid hope of a respite with cooler weather.

However, last week's Cyclone Cook has rekindled concerns that mosquito-borne diseases could spread again, with the public being told to be vigilant.

There are also fears that leptospirosis cases will increase after the cyclone.

Radio New Zealand International
Copyright © 2017 RNZI. All Rights Reserved

Rate this article: 
Average: 3.7 (11 votes)

Add new comment