Allowances Paid; Counting Of Ballots In Port Moresby To Get Underway

Some candidates call for audit of ballot boxes before counting; siting irregularities

PORT MORESBY, Papua New Guinea (The National, July 6, 2017) – Electoral Commissioner Patilias Gamato says the allowances for temporary election workers in Port Moresby have been paid into their bank accounts and counting should start as scheduled today.

“Polling allowances for NCD temporary election workers have all been transferred into their respective accounts,” he said.

[PIR editor's note: On July 5, 2017 PNG Post-Courier reported that 'A number of NCD candidates have demanded that the recently appointed NCD election manager, Alwin Jimmy conduct an audit of all ballot boxes before counting begins tomorrow. ... The request was petitioned after candidates came forward claiming that polling never took place in a number of gazetted polling places in NCD last week. ... Candidates claimed that they had sent their scrutineers and coordinators to observer proceedings at a number of polling places throughout NCD during the one-day polling exercise, only to find that polling teams never turned up on the day.']

The non-payment of allowances last Tuesday caused a protest by the workers, forcing the deferment of polling to Friday.

Election manager Alwyn Jimmy said there were officials tasked to arrange the payment of allowances.

He was responding to questions on why he did not make sure that the workers were paid their allowances last week.

He said he was not a Section 32 officer who were responsible for such payments.

“There are other officers responsible for the allowances,” he said.

“I’m here to make sure that election is completed and the seats are declared.”

Meanwhile, Metropolitan Superintendent Benjamin Turi has warned candidates and supporters not to camp outside the counting venues.

He said it was why police had to move people away from around the Rita Flynn Complex because they were unnecessarily crowding the area and contributing to the traffic congestion.

He said it was part of the police operation order to clear the areas outside the counting venues.

The National
Copyright © 2017 The National Online. All Rights Reserved

Rate this article: 
No votes yet

Add new comment