Update On Tokelau's Controversial Helicopter Purchase Expected Next Week

Two senior public servants suspended pending results of investigation

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (Radio New Zealand International, July 19, 2017) – Tokelau's leader says he hopes to be updated next week on the investigation into the controversial purchase of two helicopters.

The Ulu Siopili Perez said the public service commissioner and lawyers were due to give an update at the coming session of the Fono or parliament.

Two senior public servants have been stood down pending the outcome of the investigation.

Mr Perez confirmed the helicopters, which Tokelau purchased for several millions of dollars, had not yet been sold.

The Fono previously assigned responsibility for the sale to the territory's administrator David Nicholson to recoup what funds he could.

The purchase resulted in a break down of relations with the New Zealand administration which imposed a spending cap on the Fono's capital purchases.

Meanwhile, the Ulu said frustration over the administrator being based in Samoa would also be debated in the Fono.

Radio New Zealand International
Copyright © 2017 RNZI. All Rights Reserved

Rate this article: 
No votes yet

Add new comment