Manus Island Journalist Says PNG Police Action Imminent

Services were cut to a center compound last week prompting daily demonstrations from about 850 men living in the Aus-run facility. restrictions are part of efforts to force the men out of the center which is due to close 

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (Radio New Zealand International, August 07, 2017) – A journalist detained on Papua New Guinea's Manus Island says police are preparing to storm the detention centre as refugees continue to protest against power and water restrictions.

Services were cut to the centre's Foxtrot compound last week, prompting daily demonstrations from about 850 men living in the Australian-run facility.

The restrictions are part of efforts to force the men out of the centre, which is due to close by November.

The journalist Behrouz Boochani said he had information that police would attack the detention centre in the coming days.

He said refugees prevented police from entering the centre's Mike compound on Friday, from where the men reconnected power to Foxtrot.

Last week, the Manus Island police commander David Yapu said he was calling for reinforcements "to assist" about 100 men to leave Foxtrot compound.

"Currently we have seven police, but because of the current situation, I've already spoken to the police hierarchy to have at least 15 more additional police from the other centres to come to the province and assist us with the decommissioning of the centre," he said.

Meanwhile, Mr Boochani said without running water, about 20 refugees had been quarantined after becoming sick.

Radio New Zealand International
Copyright © 2017 RNZI. All Rights Reserved

Rate this article: 
Average: 2.8 (5 votes)

Add new comment