Filipinos In Marianas And Guam Advised To Prepare For Evacuation

Filipinos including those who are American citizens make up nearly 40 percent of Guam's population

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (Radio New Zealand International, August 15, 2017) – The Philippines government is advising its citizens in Guam and the CNMI to prepare to evacuate if North Korea follows through with its threat to fire missiles at Guam.

North Korea's state media reported last week the military would have a plan ready by now to launch four rockets which would hit the US territory's waters.

Today North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said he had North Korea sits on Guam plans and watches US received the plan but would watch the actions of the United States for a while longer before making a decision.

The Philippine Consulate General in Hagatna raised the precautionary warning of Alert Level 1 for Filipinos in Guam, and the neighbouring Northern Marianas islands of Saipan, Tinian, and Rota.

It's advising Filipinos not to panic but to have travel documents and a bag of necessities at the ready.

The consulate says they should keep tuned to the media and official advisories from the Guam government.

Filipinos including those who are American citizens make up nearly 40 percent of Guam's population.

Over the weekend Guam's government issued emergency guidelines to follow in the event of a nuclear attack.

Although Governor Eddie Calvo has continued to reassure the island's 160,000 residents of their safety.

Radio New Zealand International
Copyright © 2017 RNZI. All Rights Reserved

Rate this article: 
Average: 4.3 (3 votes)

Add new comment